Thursday, October 25, 2007

07. Library Tour

Oh, I feel that I outta do this before going to bed. I haven't been updating for almost a week! Anyway, so many things happening here! I mean, I visited quite a few exciting places. What I feel most proud of is that I got my ass moving and to explore this city, as I should have done long ago.

First thing I did, I was determined to visit the library here in New York. I am not sure what to expect but since I have so many books on my mind that I want to read (and still in the process of reading several myself) I think that would be the utmost idea. First place for me, OUT OF MANHATTAN! And where? --Roosevelt Island.

Roosevelt Island is long, narrow island situated between Manhattan and Queens. You can see the both shores if you stand in the middle of the road. On one the Manhattan side, you see tall buildings and skyscrapers. You can even see Chrysler Building hiding amongst the rest of them; on the Queens side, a colossal factory silhouetted with four giant chimneys. And not much else. A bridge stands over the island, with its thick heavy metal structure that reveals its symbolism of industrialization. It's rather
charming in some ways. I found out that there was even a lighthouse on the north tip but I was just not ready to see it (yet). But I did take the privilege to ride on the cable car, or the 'tramway', the locals call it. I got Bob Dylan's Chronicles Vol. 1 there.

And yesterday, I was brace enough to start yet another adventure to the second library in Muhlenberg in Chelsea (across from the legendary Chelsea Hotel). In spite of the fact that it's not that big, I was able to find the book I wanted! I even took some time to read some magazines. Very happy there. Oh, I also got The Kite Runner. I couldn't wait to read it. As it turned out, I was reading
the Bob Dylan book at the Starbucks on Broadway and 47th Street until midnight. He's such a talent and I love his words.

After these petite triumphs, I was charged with fire to look for all the books that remain on my To-Read list. Something like that. It's so addictive! So I checked online for more books and where they were located then I began my book hunt like a hungry predator vying for my prey. I went to TWO libraries. Yes, TWO in a day! I will soon be qualified for the 'Libraries in New York Tour' haha. For my grand triumph today, I went to 58th Street Branch (mid-size) and then Donnell Library Center (across from MoMA, the biggest one so far), looting three DVDs (including No Direction Home: Bob Dylan). To top it off, I even got to study some Japanese in the reading area. Knowledge, man!

Tomorrow… I'm not sure. I need to finish these books in two weeks and plus all the movies that I haven't seen and my Japanese study… I guess I will it a day. Jimmy got me tickets to see Blue Man Group. Will report more later. (and hope the internet connection will be fixed by then)

Wan An!

Read on an interview of Bob Dylan from Rolling Stone Magazine here. His book review from New York Times here.

【紐約圖書館之旅】

我快要升格當紐約的圖書館導覽員了!

最近幾天看書的慾望不斷在燃燒中,尤其是發現了紐約公共圖書館之後,就像挖到寶似的,【一天一館】已經不符合我的需求了! ( 太誇張了吧!)

趁著薄薄秋意之際,到處走走,去一些別人可能不會去的地方(重點 :要避開人潮),讓我來探索一下紐約的小地方吧! 第一站,【羅斯福島】。

羅斯福島位在曼哈頓島和皇后區之間,她是一個狹窄長型的島。站在路中間你可以看到一邊是高樓矗立、壅擠的曼哈頓;另一邊卻是空曠無比、只看得見一個超大的工廠,頂著四只諾大的煙囪,但旁邊盡是綠油油的一片。而接他們的是一座具有重工業味道的鋼筋大橋,上面還有人、車、地鐵穿梭其中。最驚訝的是還有電纜車 ! 我當然得坐一下囉!(看夜景棒極了 !)島上的北端還有一個燈塔,但是我應該下次再造訪吧。

總而言之,我在羅斯福島分館借了一本書,巴布‧狄倫的自傳。我已經等不及要讀了! 隔天,我在穆倫堡 (在雀爾喜區)分館借了一套有聲書、今天還去兩間分別在第 58街的分館、第53街的登尼爾圖書中心 (MoMA現代美術館的對面) 找到了我想看的DVD。多虧我事前有做功課所以一下就找到了! 我還用了一點時間在那裏讀了一下日文文法,真是充實!(偷笑)

明天我想應該要好好消化這些書,加上日文檢定考日子逼近,先把手上的書看完再說吧! 歐,我明天晚上要去看一個外百老匯的秀叫做【The Blue Man Group( 藍人組),就是以前幫INTEL拍廣告的那三個 "藍人"。再告訴你好不好看吧 !

晚安!

JT

1 comment:

JT said...

Just some updates. Since I posted this entry, I have been to 115th St and Hudson Park Branch. Way to go!

Hudson Park Branch, however, failed me because I couldn't find the other Bob Dylan DVD there! >:(